Diet Solution Programm

вторник, 15 ноября 2011 г.

Focus on Food: Avocado


Avocados are my favorite food hands down. I just can’t get enough of them. Especially as I began to eat a primarily vegetarian/vegan diet over the past two years, avocados became a major part of my diet. I’ve used them in dozens of recipes, and they have a permanent spot on my grocery list. Read on for more.




Fun facts: Did you know that avocados are technically a fruit? This delicious fruit is also known as the “Alligator Pear” due to the shape and appearance of the skin. Avocado trees can grow up to 65 feet high. When I visited Trinidad over the summer I saw some enormous avocado trees growing all over the island. I had no idea they could be so big!


Nutritional kick: Avocados are a truly healthy source of fats that are great for your skin. They are easy for our bodies to digest and provide a filling source of energy. Try eating half an avocado for a healthy snack that will keep you full until your next meal. Avocados are also rich in vitamin K, fiber, potassium, and protein. There’s no need to be scared of the fats in avocados. While they are almost all fat by makeup, those fats are the good, unprocessed, raw, plant-based fats that your body needs. These fats are vital to brain and cell function and offer many health benefits including: controlling insulin levels, promoting healthy levels of cholesterol, boosting the immune system, and more.


How to eat: Avocados are perfect to use when you want to thicken up anything. You can puree them into soups (such as in my Black Bean Avocado Soup recipe below) or even use them as a creamy base for chocolate pudding. Their mild flavor is virtually invisible once mixed with other foods and spices. Try adding slices of fresh avocados to your veggie salads. Studies show the fats in the avocado can help your body better absorb the nutrients from the other vegetables on your plate! I love mashing up avocado and using it as a spread on sandwiches. Try eating slices of plain avocado on a plate with raw tomatoes and basil and a little dash of salt and pepper. The  possibilities are endless.


Check out some of my avocado-rich recipes and let me know what you think in the comments below.



Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий