Diet Solution Programm

пятница, 17 декабря 2010 г.

Fresh Herbs in Winter


With all the freezing cold weather we’ve been having across the country, you’re probably not thinking about gardening or growing any plants. But, winter time is actually a great time to grow some fresh herbs indoors. In my apartment, we have fresh basil and rosemary that are still alive and kickin’ on our kitchen windowsill…even with temperatures outside in the 20s. It’s amazing that they just need a little light from the window and some water every few days. I LOVE having those fresh herbs right in my kitchen where they are easy to add to any dish.


Tonight I made shrimp scampi for my boyfriend and we had a big portion of yellow squash on the side. I sauteed the squash in a little olive oil with salt and pepper, and sprinkled some fresh chopped basil leaves on top. It was the perfect aromatic addition to a simple veggie side dish.


Herb plants make sweet holiday gifts too. Last year I gave rosemary trees to a bunch of friends and family. Rosemary is especially resilient in the cold months. Try adding some fresh herbs to your vegetables, meat, and potatoes. They liven up the flavors of food, providing a spicy, fresh quality that makes a big difference with little to no preparation.


Fresh basil on yellow squash


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий