Diet Solution Programm

среда, 20 июля 2011 г.

baby steps and organic eating


The kids are out bowling with a friend of mine, so I figured it was a perfect time for a blog post!



So much has been going on... I am officially back to work. The first day with students isn't until August 1, but we have so much professional development that I am already back in the swing of things. I am excited about the upcoming school year and blessed to still have a teaching job.



A lot of thinking and emotions have been playing out in my head about my eating and weight loss journey. I am still praying through a lot of things, and asking God for guidance. And it feels good to have "help" from that area.



After my last blog post, a few people made comments referring to my "all or nothing" attitude when it comes to dieting. One person implied that I set myself up for failure by putting so many restrictions on my eating, and suggested small changes. Exactly when I was reading that comment, I was pretty much beating myself up for having a bad day eating, and for not being able to "get it right". So I prayed. And then I thought to myself...



What if instead of making restrictions that I don't seem to be able to stay with long-term, I just made small changes every day. Small steps in the right directions. And at the same time celebrated those small victories instead of being so disappointed in myself for continuously failing at weight loss?



What if?



Over the past couple of weeks, my stomach has been uncomfortably bloated. My raging heartburn has returned to the point where I am about to start taking medication again. On Monday morning when I was getting dressed for a teacher-inservice, my capris were TIGHT. Since summer school ended I've been wearing sundresses or elastic-waist bottoms, so I just wasn't expecting that they would be TIGHT. So what did I do? I ate like crazy all day. And then at the end of the day, I had that hopeless, disappointed feeling that I hate.



Tuesday morning, I prayed for a better day. And as if God Himself were talking to me, the thought popped in my head to eat a good breakfast. So I got up and made an egg sandwich on whole wheat bread. And guess what? I was totally satisfied until lunch. For lunch, I had Subway. And guess what? I was totally satisfied until dinner. I had three solid meals, and not once was I hungry in-between. I felt like I was in control, finally.



And so I got up this morning and did the same. I have made good choices, and I feel good.



At the same time all this is going on, my entire family is going on a new path of eating. Last week, my family and I watched Food, Inc. For those of you that have watched that movie, you know EXACTLY what I mean when I say that movie is mind-changing. My kids even turned down their favorite McDonald's when someone offered to take them.



I have started buying organic milk and eggs as a start. I have not been able to buy any meat, because I keep seeing mad cows and exploding chickens. The cage-free chicken and grass-fed beef that I've priced is RIDICULOUS, so I haven't  bought any. When I empty my pantry and deep-freezer, I am going to replace it with good food. My kids are now begging for healthier food at home, so I am a fool if I don't give it to them. It benefits all of us.



With that being said, if anyone can refer me to any sites with tips or recipes for clean and organic food please let me know. I HAVE to start cooking. And with school starting, I have to start figuring out options for lunch and breakfast since my kids will NOT be eating school lunch this year. Good food is more expensive, but I am convinced that the benefits are worth it. But I have to find a way to try.



I think this all ties in. Me making good choices. My kids making good choices. One step at a time.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий